Monday, October 10, 2011

Running in Michigan: Hill Block View???

Michigan Fall Scenery RunningMichigan Fall Scenery Running
I went for a run on Saturday (click the link here to see the map and pictures in the context of the map) and there were times I just stopped in awe of what I was looking at.  I ran down a bunch of back roads that I don't normally go down and I was reminded of part of why I choose to continue living in Michigan.
Michigan Fall Scenery RunningMichigan Fall Scenery Running

The trees were changing colors and it was unbelievably beautiful.  What I love about running is that you don't just see fall with your eyes, you smell it with the smell of leaves, damp leaves, burning leaves, dry leaves; you hear the crackling of leaves as they crunch under your feet, you feel the leaves surrounding you as you run through the tunnels of color.  These pictures don't do it justice.

Maybe it's part of getting older, but as much as I hate to compromise my times while running, I couldn't help but stop and stare at what I was seeing.  I've come back from motorcycle rides and tried to explain to Cathie some of what I'd seen and she jokes that I'm the double rainbow guy (click here to see what that means).  I was out riding my motorcycle as the sun was low on the horizon.  I was coming through a tunnel of trees and on the other side of those trees the sun's orange light lit up the dust from a horseback riding area, creating this amazing contrast and color.  I tried to describe this and the "Double Rainbow Guy" label was born.

I'm not an artistic guy, but I like the fact that God created this beauty in the world with no real function, just to be appreciated and enjoyed, and that God has wired me up to be able to enjoy it in my own small way.


No comments: