Monday, May 05, 2003

After regularly checking Mark and Noel's blog's, I figured it was time to start my own. My biggest struggle with this site will be trying to put down what I'm thinking without filtering it through the "Does that sound smart yet witty?" filter. We'll see how it goes.

I started my spiritual formation mentoring with Bob Gielow. Bob is a very, very smart guy. I mean really smart. To understand just how smart Bob is you can either check out this site or look in his garage. Instead of having a messy garage, Bob has built pulley contraptions to suspend huge pieces of his equipment form his ceiling. Bob is really the founder of Crossroads Church and has a huge heart for the lost. Bob and I both have large quantities of ear hair, however Bob is pushing 60. We're both trying to figure out what this mentoring thing is supposed to look like in the context of different generations and communication styles. Neither of us is really sure how this is going to work, but the idea is for him to walk alongside me in my spiritual journey - listening, praying for me and challenging.

I've been reading Dallas Willard's Rennovation of the Heart. Dallas's work really intimidates me. I feel lucky if I understand 10% of what he's saying. For some reason, I've really understood a lot of where he's going in this book, despite his dry, academic writing (did I mention dry?). More on this book later.

I'm traveling this week down to Park University in Parkville, MO. Normally, we stay at the Porch Swing Inn Bed and Breakfast, but the owners, Ellen and Rhonda are on vacation - so the team is staying elsewhere. I'm back Thursday night, and then in Tallahassee the following week for an overnight trip.

No comments: