Friday, June 20, 2003

I've been reading some other great spiritual formation books, but hadn't been reading the bible regularly. I've heard people say that the only real place to go for truth was the bible, everything else is watered down. I've been trying to resolve that statement for myself. Is God's word just as active in a book that quotes the bible and extrapolates on the bible as it is reading the biblical text in itself? Can the Holy Spirit point to God's truth in movies, music and books? Pointing to biblical truth? Can that truth be as active in my heart as God's word? I wrestle with the fact that 10 people read the same verse and pull 10 different things from it. How is that more accurate or truth based than me reading a book that gives me a synoptic view of a topic? Anyways, during my quiet time this morning, God whispered a pretty simple truth to me - "Dave, if you get into my word, I'll bring it to life for you and touch your heart with it." Okay, gotta figure that one out. To prove the point, here's where I was at when I sat down this morning for my quiet time:
I was feeling pretty self-righteous yesterday, pissed off at a guy I worked with, mulling over the best way to ream him out for his condescending additude. Funny enough, I picked up my bible today, flipped it open and started reading. I opened it up to Luke 6 and started reading. Man, did it level me, from about 5 different angles:
"It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is disorted by contempt? It's this I-know-better-than-you mentality again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your own part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor."

I forgot to mention that I went to court to fight my ticket, and got it reduced to no points and a cheaper fine. Yesterday as I'm driving through East Lansing on the way home from seeing my Grandma in the hospital, someone pulls out in front of me while trying to make a left turn and scratches up my car. Oh well, it's just a car. No one was hurt. I felt bad for the girl who did it - I remember being a college student and having stuff like that happen. It sucks.

No comments: