Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Jon (my brother) came down last night, and he, Jason and I went to Nate's Karate class. You're thinking yee-ha! Attending a kid's Karate class! Jon drove 2 hours each way to attend this Karate class. It's that amusing. We signed Nate up for this class through Community Ed, not knowing much about it. It's very unique. It's a non-profit organization that teaches a form of Karate that never makes you hit another person and they start the class by hugging each student. I like to think of it as liberal karate. Everyone tries their best, and lreally, isn't that good enough? The instructor is a very nice guy who means well, but tells some hilarious stories, that he doesn't mean to be funny. Jon, Jason and I sat on the sidelines trying not to embaress ourselves by laughing too loudly. There's also a guy who looks just like Dave Matthews (Don't mention this to Jason, it makes him VERY angry). Anyways, the dave-matthews-looking-guy comes there with his son, and between them, know EVERYTHING, or so they think. They ask all the questions, raise their hands to answer all of the questions, and do every move with a little extra uumph. They're actually in another class, and come as "Visitors" to this class. They tuck a dollar in their belts, and loudly ask "Sensei - may I present my visitor dollar?" They bow low, and hand their dollar to the instructor with reverence. Reading all of this doesn't capture the humor in this class. Jason's really the only one who I've heard describe it and truly capture what goes on there. Put it this way, Jon felt like it was worth the drive from Grand Rapids, and Jason hasn't missed a week sitting on the sidelines. This was the icing on the cake yesterday - turns out it was parents day. I had to be in the class and participate, while Jason and Jon watched on the sidelines as I looked like a fool, with dave-matthews-looking-guy grinding his butt into my pelvis on one of the moves. About fourty minutes in, Nate decided that uncle Jon should participate, and Jon got to go through a hilarious sparring exercise with the instructor. Nate thought Jason should have a turn, and Jason got there in just enough time to get a hug from the instructor. Jon and I were rolling on the ground at this point, wetting ourselves laughing. This is the third or fourth week I've shown up there with another man to watch Nate in the class. I'm pretty sure they think that Jason is my life-partner, and that Nate is our adopted son. Go figure.

No comments: