Monday, December 15, 2003

Will and I went with Jason, Jess, Meghan, Tim and Jess's parents down to Riverview this past Saturday night to check out their Saturday night service. The theme was Xmas unplugged. I did a lot of reflecting on what Christmas is about for me, and came to the uncomfortable conclusion it's not about Jesus for me this year - but more about Gifts, Tradition, Family, Food and busyness. Not where I want it to be. Cath and I were talking about this yesterday, and as a family we change this. Starting tonight, we're sitting down as a family after dinner each night to read about the Christmas Story, and Cathie and I are setting aside some evenings without the TV to read and reflect on Christ's arrival in the world. I've started reading the latter half of Walter Wangerin's The Book of God which deals with Christ's arrival, starting with Zachariah and Herod, and paints a broad canvas around the Christmas storoy that goes way outside a manger. I have no idea if any of this will help, but it's a start.

No comments: