Monday, January 12, 2004

My mentor have started stepping through Jim Collin's book From Good to Great on our calls. We started going through the idea of Level 5 Leadership. Level 5 leadership is defined very specifically as a type of leader whose ambition is focused on other and the organization - someone who takes the ego, ambition and self-interest out of the picture. This book is different from others in the sense that it's not just his opinion. It's based on huge amounts of research, historical and financial data behind the companies, their performance and their leadership. My mentor is the closest thing I've ever been in contact with that exhibits this type of leadrership. As I've read this section of the book, I came to the conclusion that I'm not sure I want to be this type of leader. From what I've seen, when you put that much time into an organization, something has to give at a personal level - typically your family. I asked my mentor about this and he shared with me that he knows he's made sacrifices, but he doesn't know how to do it any differently. He's worked with other level 5 leaders - 4 star general, joint chiefs of staff, and said he'd seen the same thing. It was a cool thing to hear someone that I respect so much tell me that I have the potential to be a level 5 leader - and mean it. For someone I respect so much to tell me that they expect me to be in their position within the next couple of years was very flattering.

No comments: