Monday, August 23, 2004

I'm sure most of the people who read my blog know that we've had some pretty challenging times going on at my church. With my wife as one of the elders of our church, I've had a unique perspective and have sat back and watched the way people have interacted with my wife and the other elders as they've gone through this. I can understand people being upset about what's going on, and knowing that the elders of our church are learning how to process something like this as they go. There are certain people in our church who have been downright condescending and mean in how they deal with the leadership of our church. I'm sure they believe they have their reasons, but it's like they lose sight of the fact that the elder team is made up of real people - people who deserve to be treated with love, grace and respect. It's amazing how people like to "give advice" in a nice "Christian" way, when what they're really trying to say is "you don't lead as well as I would, you don't pray as much as I do, listen to God like I do, or love Jesus like I do". I would love to have the elders post the e-mails they've received on a bulletin board for the world to see. I know that in any group there's always going to be one or two, but I guess I thought my church was different. I'm not saying I didn't think the church was full of broken people just like me, I just thought we loved each other differently, and that was our hallmark. I heard a good definition of love: "Taking a hit and returning a hug." I'd like to poke some of them in the eye. I'm not sure that's covered in 1 Corinthians 13. I'm amazed at how well the elders of our church love people, even after they continue to be complete butt-monkeys to them. It's these people who complain the loudest who've been the first to leave when things haven't gone their way. Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN, Brother!!!! (Nicki)