Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I ran across this verse in 1 Timothy 1 this morning, which speaks to the contrasting views of of what outreach looks like in churches today:
The whole point of what we're urging is simply love - love uncontaminated by self-interest and counterfeit faith, a life open to God. ....Those who fail to keep to this point soon wander off into cul-de-sacs of gossip. They set themselves up as experts on religious issues, but haven't the remotest idea of what they're holding forth with such imposing eloquence. It's true that moral guidance and counsel need to be given, but the way you say it and to whom you say it are as important as what you say.
I've been trying to figure out my own outreach philosophy. Here's what I've come up with so far:
1. I need to be understand what God's done in my life - what does my salvation really mean to me?
2. I need to pray hard and listen often to what God's telling me.
2. I need to be willing to build authentic, loving relationships irregardless of where the other person is at spiritually and is not dependant on whether they ever move from that spot.
3. I need to be humble with my beliefs - understanding where God's truth and my perspective intersect, but keeping in mind that I only see a part of God's Truth (1 Cor 13:12)
4. I need to be able to ask good questions
5. I need to be willing to listen well


No comments: