Friday, July 15, 2005

Cathie and I went on a date last night to dinner and a movie. Our plan was originally to go to the Mongolian Barbecue in Novi for dinner and then head to a movie. When we got to dinner, we stumbled upon a private vodka tasting party that was going on at the resturant and we got ourselves invited in. They were preimeiring a new Mongolian Vodka and had it there to drink in every way, shape and form - from chilled shots, to martinis and mixed drinks. It's a good Vodka - up there with Absolut, but not quite Grey Goose quality. They had a whole round of appetizers as well, so we hung out, had some drinks, downed some appetizers and scrapped our original dinner plans.

We then went to see War of the Worlds. I was considering not seeing it just because Tom Cruise has seemed so annoying lately that I figured it would sour the enjoyment of the movie. People talked a lot about the special effects blowing them away, but that really didn't strike me. What struck me was that I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. It was a good movie, not great. The special effects were good, but nothing groundbreaking or earth-shattering. After movies like Star Wars I think it's tough to be amazed anymore. The last movie with effects that amazed me were some animated flicks where you could see each individual hair moving in an individual, realistic way. I contrast that with my four year old Emily who will scream with amazement when we're on a walk and she sees a bird or a bug. You'd think she'd just spotted a dinosaur walking down the street. She gets so excited about the little things. Probably not a bad place to be in life, to still find wonder like that in the world around you.

No comments: