Saturday, November 19, 2005

I'm home

I made it back tonight from Hot Springs, AR (Boyhood home of President Clinton). When I got to the airport Wednesday night around 11, the guy at the rental car counter handed me my keys and explained that he didn't know where the car was, but told me to hit the button on the key FOB and I'd find it eventually. Talk about service. We had frost both mornings I was out there, and apprently ice scrapers aren't standard issue in Arkansas. A hotel room key works just as well when three guys are scraping. Just looks funny. The work stuff went well, but long. We went from 7AM on Thursday until about 11:30PM. There was a fair amount of debate (most of it by me) with some of the Hot Springs locals, if the movie Deliverance was supposed to have taken place in Arkansas. While I was out there, I got to catch up with a friend of mine and previous boss, Kathy, who's made a permanent home out in the 'Springs.

I had a cramped flight back to Detroit, sitting next to a huge National Guardsmen who just came back from recruiting training. We didn't fit well into the seats side by side. I explained to him that I wasn't singing up, but give me his spiel anyways. We talked about the Iraq conflict and what should happen with the troops. He shared with me how much the majority of the people over there love and appreciate the US vs what's portrayed on the news. I was giddy to finally make it home tonight. Five days away sucks. I missed my family badly.

No comments: