Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Spiritual Disciplines

I was reading this morning in The Divine Conspiracy about Spiritual Disciplines, which he defines as "any activity within our power that we engage in to enable us to do what we cannot do by direct effort". Anytime I start reading and reflecting on these disciplines, the disciplines of silence and solitude alway strike me. In a bad way. I'm scared to death of just being quiet and alone by myself without something to distract me: Music, Podcasts, TV, the Internet, a book. I suck at being quiet and alone. I thought this part was interesting, "This idea of doing nothing proves to be absolutely terrifying to most people I speak with. But at least the person who is capable of doing nothing might be capable of refraining from doing the wrong thing. And then perhaps he or she would be better able to do the right thing." The idea of even doing a half day personal retreat is something I'm not looking forward to enough that I'm sure I'll put it off for a while.

No comments: