Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Infamous Pint


Cathie and I went over to Monaca's to have dinner with her and Will. We went to see Clerks II and then to a nearby Irish Pub. Instead of ordering a Pint, Will just pointed at his shirt and the waiter brought him his Guinness. This is funny for a number of reasons. Will has been to Ireland and is full of many facts about the country. You can tell that he's sharing them when a sentence starts with the word, "Actually...." A while back, we went to an Irish Pub in Novi. The atmosphere must have been so convincing that Will thought he was in Ireland. I asked him what he was having to drink, and he responded, "A pint." "A pint of what?" I responded. "Actually, Dave, in Ireland, if you ask for a pint, they know to bring you a pint of Guinness." "Um... We're not in Ireland." I responded. "Watch" said Will. The waitress came by and Will ordered "a pint". "A pint of what?" the waitress responded, as I rolled on the floor laughing.

On the way home from our double-date, I was telling Cathie about how lucky I am to have Will as a friend. He gets me the way very few people in the world get me. He puts up with my Shenanigans and he is one of the most faithful, loyal, loving friends a guy could ask for. We've been friends for around 15 years. I met him when I was in college and he was in high school, dating Cathie's cousin. We've got a lot of similar interests and enough different ones to keep things interesting. One thing that we do both love is Kevin Smith, and his movies, which is why I would go see Clerks II with no one else but Will.

A couple brief thoughts on Clerks II: I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith as a person, as a story teller and as a film maker. With that being said, some of his content is way over the line. Clerks I was written and produced over 12 years ago for $25k. Since then, Kevin Smith has made a number of movies and has quite a cult following. Clerks I was great from a cinematic standpoint, a "little guy making it big" kinda thing and a great story. The downside is that it was pretty filthy. Not with gore or sex, but just with topics that continually cross the line. 12 years later, I figured Clerks II must have been more commercial (for $20M) and more mainstream, so therefore cleaner. Nope. It was as dirty, or dirtier. I laughed hard throughout the movie, but in the end, it wasn't a movie that I'm real proud to tell people I saw. If I were sitting next to Jesus (or my Mom) in this movie, both would have been squirming at some of the topics on here because of how they crossed the line. With that being said, the movie was very funny and got lots of applause at the end, but I'm not sure I can recommend it.

No comments: