Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Happy Birthday Dad!


Today is my Dad's birthday. He's not 70 yet. Here are ten things you may not know about my Dad:
  • He grew up on a farm in Iowa and drove the school bus for while in High School. He would leave in the morning, pick up students, and drop them off on his way home.
  • My Dad has seen Johnnie Cash in concert a bunch of times while growing up in Iowa.
  • My Dad is a certified Ski Patrol and is trained in advanced first aid. He learned at an early age that by putting a cravat on Susan, he could stop her from whining about any ailment.
  • My Dad is the youngest of 8 kids.
  • My Dad hates credit unions the way Southern Baptists hate Disney.
  • My Dad is a part of the Knights of Columbus, but hasn't gotten to the level where you get to wear the cool sword and hat with the plume on it.
  • My Dad used to make his own wine. We used to get to stomp the grapes with our bare feet. One time we made Dandelion wine and all the kids in the neighborhood picked a thousands of dandelions. I can't imagine that it tasted all that good.
  • My Dad rides the DALMAC (4 day bike ride from Lansing to Mackinac) almost every year. He's ridden it with each of the boys.
  • Growing up, my Dad took each of his sons to the Philmont, the Boy Scout ranch in New Mexico. Each of us backpacked in the wilderness for 10 days.
  • I was the first person to call my Dad today and wish him a happy birthday. Sherry was a little mixed up and called yesterday, but it didn't count, according to the official Kurt rules.
Update:
Sooze posted a similar list to her blog, after I did. Oddly enough, neither had read the other's post before writing there post (or so Susan says).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was the only one that called him two days in a row to wish him happy birthday!

By the way, do you have a copy of the "Kurt rules" that I can see?

Sherry

Anonymous said...

You can find the official rules HERE.

Anonymous said...

I feel that I am to blame for Sherry getting the wrong day for Jim's birthday. I was talking to her on the phone and for some reason I thought his birthday was the 27TH!!!!!
It is MY MISTAKE SORRY!