Sunday, February 25, 2007

Clean Sweep


This morning's conversation with the kids in junior high was around the stuff we have versus all of the needs people have. We talked about the homeless, hungry and hurting and what we do help them. We all agreed that if we had 100 refugees living in our backyard, it would be a lot tougher to wake up each morning and be wasteful with our food, clothes and stuff. It would probably be a lot easier decision to buy food and clothes for the people in your back yard instead of the $400 iPod.

Unfortunately, none of us came up with any easy answers. Cathie and I did go home and clean-sweep our closet. I came up a giant pile of clothes that I'm taking to downtown Detroit with me on the third Saturday in March. I'm not saying these clothes are great, but they sure beat some of the crap that we pass out to the homeless down there. Cathie was my sounding board as I'd try and figure out if I was going to keep an article of clothing, often mocking me and my taste. I did come to the conclusion that I have a ton of Hawaiian Aloha shirts. To make Cathie happy, I threw in the shirt you'll see in the lower right hand corner of the picture... That and the X-Files hat in the middle. (Why would I have ever had an X-Files hat? I like the show Scrubs, but I'm never going to buy a hat that says Scrubs on it... Now that I think about it, I think it was a gift from my Mom.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Brad was to clean out his closet like yourself, I wonder if even the needy would wear them. It would be funny to drive downtown and see parts of Detroit wearing fasionably colored sweater vests.