Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Grandma

Nate and I are staying at my Dad's for a couple of days helping out as he recuperates. We got a call around 4ish that my Grandma was being taken to the hospital again. Her legs weren't working and she had fallen so we met up with her at the emergency room. They did some X-Rays and discharged her. It was a really sad night. I watched my Grandma helpless doing everything she could to stand and walk, and she can't. She's lived on her own until now and she's at a point where she just can't live without help any more and she hates the idea of giving up her freedom and going into an assisted living home. I saw her sit and cry tonight as she talked to me about what it's like to get old and worn down. She wants so bad to do things on her own and her body just won't do it. She's lost her husband and both of her children, survived by my Dad, her 4 grandchildren and 11 great grand children. I don't know what I'd do in her situation. She feels alone and helpless. It broke my heart tonight to see this happen. She's still sharp as a tack and has her sense of humor, but it's tough to see this happen and think about myself at that point in life.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so sad! Hang in there, Dave. We are really praying for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap Dave - you're dealing with a lot lately - we're keeping you in our prayers - LET US KNOW if you need help with anything.