Monday, August 13, 2007

Clothing Drive

Our church is doing a bedding drive with our local Active Faith, a local organization that helps the needy in our community. We're trying to get our neighborhood involved, so Mark Kohne and I put flyers together and passed them out in our neighborhood and we're going to pick stuff up next weekend. For the most part, I think people want the chance to help the hurting, but most are either too busy, don't know how or just see it as too big of a problem to make a difference. I figured by trying to get a grass-roots group of guys doing this in my neighborhood, we might be able to get something larger going in the community. I think it's easier to invite guys to help the poor than it is to invite them to church. The idea of church carries all sorts of baggage, at least with guys who are loosely connected to churches. Regardless of church background or depth of faith, people seem to want to help others that need it and are looking for the opportunities to do it. I'd think I'd rather have people ask the question, "Why would you guys want to help people like this?" and be able to talk about my church and faith from that point on.

Over a beer with one of my neighbors last week, we started talking about how we could use our business skills to help people in our community, particularly those families who can't afford computers. We talked about ways to use some of the local technology businesses to provide computers and the related support to people in the area that need them. Lots of ideas right now, no good way to move forward.

No comments: