Sunday, October 21, 2007

Beautiful Sunday

IMG_5680IMG_5689
It was an amazing fall day today, 75 degrees a nice breeze and not a cloud in the sky. After church, Maddie and I went up to Island Lake State Park to go roller blading. We had such a great time as we'd roller blade a bit, stop, enjoy the smells and colors, roller-blade some more, stop and talk, go a little further and then collect cool looking leaves. At one point, a mountain biker stopped to ask for directions back to trail-head parking lot. I explained to her the path to take back and Maddie and I continued blading. About 20 feet ahead, we came across the path back to the trail head. It turns out we'd sent her in the exact opposite direction of where she needed to go, back on a 5 mile trail loop, actually. I told Maddie that if we ran into her again, to pretend that we only spoke German and to nod our heads a lot.

We went for slurpees afterwards and then hung out and talk some more. Maddie's growing up so quickly, mentally even faster than physically. It was so nice to have one-on-one time and to have some great conversations. She asked me a lot about what I'm working on with lots of 2nd and 3rd level questions as she really wanted to understand what I'm doing and why. It was one of those times I want to lock in my heart and remember as she hits her teenage years.

I came home and couldn't work up the motivation to mow the grass, so Nate and I watched the Detroit Lions win and then I hung out outside and read while Cathie got all of the garden beds ready for the winter.

No comments: