Monday, October 08, 2007

Painful Monday Morning


This morning's Triad workout started off pretty normal. We warmed up and then did some boxing - hitting the heavy bag for a while. We then moved in to a new exercise, apparently based on playing with dogs. The drill goes like this. One guy stands in the front of the field and chucks tennis balls just far enough out of reach that you have to sprint for it. The goal is to grab it one bounce and throw it back, just as another launches in the air. It's a great workout and you're running and sprinting non-stop, but it feels like your doing it with a purpose. After the second round, one of the other guys who was working out with us ended up on all fours. This kind of a rite-of-passage at the morning workout - we've all pushed ourselves to the point of throwing up and passing out. It was a great cardio workout and a nice change of pace, until we changed it up a little bit. The final round was about trying to jump and dive and move in order to grab the tennis ball before it hit the ground. I moved, but my ankle didn't. I'm sitting at my desk with a bag of ice on my ankle, trying to figure out how I'm going to travel to New York tomorrow with a significant limp.

Update: Kirk's shared with me that the latest theory behind healing an ankle injury is to immediately walk on it and exercise it. I spent the day doing ice soaks (which hurt like nothing else) and walking around on it. I was amazed at how much better it's feeling already. Based on how I performed in today's exercise, I'm pretty sure I'll never be a wide-receiver in the NFL.

No comments: