Monday, October 15, 2007

Scancafe


I'm very meticulous about my digital pictures - how I store them, categorize them and back them up. I've got them stored on three separate systems within my home, and then backed up off-site using the online backup tool Mozy Backup. With my digital pictures, we're able to look at them all the time via my Mac Mini connected to my HDTV in a rotating slide-show. We've got a million film pictures that we never really look at and that I would have to save in the event of a fire (way before my cat). I went through about 19 months and extracted the negatives from the pictures (about 500 negative sheets @ 5 pictures each) and I'm going to have them scanned in by this service. It works like this: You send them the pictures, they clean them, scan them and them put them online for review. You select the pictures online, only paying for the pictures you want (minimum 50% of the pictures) and they send you a DVD with the pictures and the negatives back. Hopefully this works. I'd looked into buying a slide scanner, but the the idea of scanning thousands of slides isn't as much fun as it sounds. This ends up costing about the same amount, without much work on my side.

No comments: