Friday, January 11, 2008

The Bleeding Edge Loser


I've been contemplating getting a high def DVD player for a long time, but had been stuck between the the formats, trying to decide between Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. The prices have been falling to the point that the players are now affordable, and Microsoft just dropped their prices on the XBOX 360 DVD player to $129. I figured it was time to pull the trigger with some Christmas money I'd received (so much for my goal of trying to have less stuff). I bought it last week, just before the format war hitting a tipping point - in the wrong direction for me. I bought my player on Saturday, and on Monday the announcements came out that a major studio was shifting to blu-ray, and others would probably follow.

This is the Betamax vs. VHS kind of format war all over again and probably the last physical format we'll use before digital download dominates the market-place. Lots of people and studios have been waiting for things to tip one way or the other. It seems to have tipped, the wrong way, for me at least. The one disc I have - King Kong is phenomenal. I've got some others, including Top Gun, lined in my Netflix queue to watch. Should be stunning.

1 comment:

Ken said...

do companies really think that people care about HD this much?? (this is coming from a man who has never bought a TV and only recently got basic analog cable... 12 channels baby!!)