Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy Nintieth Birthday!


The whole family (yes, Sherry, you're included in that description) went to be with my Grandma yesterday to celebrate her 90th birthday. She's at a point in her life where she doesn't want to leave the nursing home she's at for family occasions, she's having a tough time breathing, and just plain worn down from 90 years of life. My Grandpa died 30 years ago, My Uncle Bill 8 years ago and my Mom a year go. I sometimes get the sense that my Grandma just desperately wants to be with them again. Even as her body wears down, her mind is still fully there, which must make it even tougher. People assume that because she is old and can't talk loudly that she can't hear. She hears like a hawk (that's good, right?). It's funny to watch people talk really loudly to her as she just smiles and then loudly explains that there's nothing wrong with her hearing. She sits back, watches everything going on and smiles to herself.
When we lived in Livonia and the kids were first born, Nate and I (and then later Maddie would join us) would go over to her house in Detroit and hang out with her every Tuesday and Thursday while Cathie was working. She would give the kids their bottles and we'd hang out and talk about life, our family history and hear great stories about my heritage. My Grandma gets me like few people do.

Happy Birthday Grandma!

No comments: