Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Years Day Snow Storm

House after snow stormBackyard
We woke up this morning to about a foot of snow. Kevin and I got out there and started shoveling, with the emphasis being on the pile of snow at the bottom left of the driveway (you'll see why later). Once the driveway was clear, we headed to the back yard and begin making a huge pile of snow by the swingset. A couple weeks ago, we'd had a little snow jumped off the swings-set. Nate was the one who originally suggested doing a flip off of the swing-set, but we weren't quite up for it yet. This time, things were different. Standing on top of the swings-set, it's about ten feet up, combined with being six feet tall, it looks pretty high up there (hence my over-zealous celebration jump after the flip). Check out the video here:

Gabe's head-plant, Kevin's hand-stand attempt and Nate's nut-crushing spread eagle all deserve bonus points. We then turned the jumping pile into a small snow fort and played around in the snow for a while.
Nate and KevinAllie the Snow Angel

We went back out later that evening and took the huge drive-way pile of snow and made a second snow-fort. The pile was ginormous, and we hollowed it out so that all three kids could fit comfortably inside.
Nate, Maddie and Em in the snow fortMaddie and Em
I just don't remember getting this quality and quantity of snow at once in a long time. It seemed like it happened a lot more frequently as a kid. I remember making these big snow pile forts in our driveway all the time. Part of the reason we're able to make these forts is because I DO NOT have a snow-blower. My Dad's motto was always "Why do I need a snow blower when I have three strong boys and a very whiny daughter?" and I have the same motto, and two daughters. Cathie claims that "every time" I go out of town it snows and she ends up shoveling (note: Cathie tends to exaggerate a lot and blow small things out of proportion occasionally).

No comments: