Monday, January 14, 2008

Shinn Going Away Party

The Wall of ShinnJason Joe and Jess
On Saturday night we hosted a ginormous party for Jay and Jess to send them off to their beloved Ohio. My wife asked me how many people I thought would be coming and I guessed between 30 - 60. I was wrong. Way wrong. We had over 100 people show, and at one time, 90 people were in our house. If you've been in our house, that's a butt-load of people. Seriously - you could barely move.

Getting our house ready for a party is not easy, as my wife has very high standards for the presentation of our home. She also has a little quirk (I'm being kind). Cathie likes to undertake HUGE projects just before large gatherings. The family joke is that Cathie will decide at the last minute that the party will not be complete unless everyone has matching hand-knitted hats and gloves. The night before the party, she will learn how to knit and nearly kill herself getting these must-have items completed for the party. I came home from the airport on Thursday night to find our downstairs bathroom torn apart and in the process of being painted. We were able to complete the overhaul, including new fixtures and wall-hangings in time for the party. While Cathie was out at a girl scout event on Saturday, Nate and I worked to try and get the house straightened up. I guess I should be pleased with my gift, as Cathie informed me that our robotic vacuum cleaner does a far superior job that I do.

The house was decorated with these 8x10's of Jay and Jess in various poses and events over the past few years, along with a giant signable map of Ohio (did I mention they love the state dearly)? The party started at 6 and we finally kicked the stragglers out around 12:30 after Jay and Jess left.
Fusion KidsFusion Girls
The kids hung out and played the Wii, Guitar Hero III and Halo while the adults ate a ton of food. It was fun seeing all of our youth group kids over the past 12 years at the party, including these two chuckleheads, both who've been my kids since sixth grade.
Zach and Evan
I'd uncovered a movie from way back that we made for Jess's parents to show them why they should allow Jess to move to Michigan and live with us. It's funny seeing all of the kids and people from five years ago, but what's funnier is Jason. Jason has the spiritual gift of bullhorn - meaning he is a master of heckling from behind a bullhorn, and that gift transfers well to a video camera. Watch and see:


You can see the rest of the pictures here.

No comments: