Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tight Community

We live in a fairly small community that is fairly tight knit. Cathie helps out in the school quite a bit knows all of the teachers, and we're pretty tightly connected with a group of families in our neighborhood... That being said, I found this story funny that we heard when we got back from vacation:
My Dad watched the kids last week and while they were at school, my Dad had told the kids he was going to be home doing homework for his Ethics class. Emily happened to mention to her teacher, Sheri, that her Grandpa better be doing his homework, and Sheri in turn mentioned it to one of our neighbors. Our neighbor shared with Sheri that my Dad in fact was not at home very long doing homework. Instead, she had watched him shovel the driveway after which he left the house for a while. My first reaction was more, "Wow, that's a little odd" until Cathie explained to me that the same neighbor who shared my Dad's itinerary for the day also knew that my Dad had had a heart attack and that shoveling snow wasn't the best thing for him. She knew that very few people are around during the day in the neighborhood, so she kept an eye on him to make sure he was alright while he shoveled the driveway. It's amazing what neighbors know about people...

No comments: