Monday, March 31, 2008

Dad and Judy

My Dad and Judy have been seeing each other since late last year and "going steady" (their words, not mine) for the past couple of months. Yesterday was Judy's first experience of the whole family (minus the Memphis Kurt's) and earlier in the week my Dad had taken Judy to meet his siblings out in Iowa and Illinois. To put this into perspective, we never took our spouses to meet our Iowa relatives until we'd been married to them for 5 years.

When we walked in the door yesterday at my Dad's house, my Dad and Judy decided to show us that they truly are going steady (as defined in the 1950s apparently) by wearing each others rings. My Dad had Judy's ring on a bright green piece of yarn (that he'd pulled off of a near-by plant, I believe) and Judy had my Dad's class ring on her finger. If you think all of this a bit odd, I'm with you, but you have to understand the sense of humor in our family.

I suggested that my Dad and Judy get purity rings to show their promise of chastity until marriage, similar to the one that my Dad gave my sister as a teenager (but never any of his sons, which is odd now that I think about it).

We had a nice time hanging out. Judy's daughter, son-in-law and grandson came by as well. They'll never truly get the full "Kurt Family Experience" until they come to a Kurt family gathering full of tequila shooters, viking horns, slingshots and Jon mooning people.

I was saddened that my Dad doesn't consider Wilaca or Bill and Sherry to truly be a part of the family enough to invite them to this event. Maybe Sherry's been right all along.

You may be wondering to yourself if the whole idea of my Dad dating is odd to me. The short answer is "yes".

No comments: