Friday, April 18, 2008

Pizzapopolis Syndrome

I'm at the end of the second week of my commitment to a new exercise routine. So far so good. I've been outside running three times a week, been to Triad twice a week for plyometrics and to Powerhouse to lift twice a week. I needed the change from the monotony of my workout routine, and this has been working great.

The biggest surprise to me is how I'm actually enjoying running. I finished work early today and instead of sitting outside and reading, I went out and ran 3 1/2 miles. I like seeing how hard I can push myself into something new like this. My wife refers to it as the "Pizzapopolis Syndrome" and she's probably right. The syndrome can be defined like this:

Anytime I find something new that I enjoy, I like to immerse myself in that. Whether it's a kind of food, a beverage, an artist, an author or an exercise - my theory is that if a little is good, a lot must be great! I'll listen to a song or an artist until I'm sick of it. I'll Mountain biking every day until I got good at it or tired of it. I'll go out of my way to eat certain flavor of DQ Blizzard until I'm ready to hurl, and then there's the pizza....

I got hooked on Pizzapolis Pizza a while back. If you've never had their pizza, it's basically a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza with a few pounds of cheese. I would drive 30 miles each way to get this pizza (and drag Will with me). On the night of Emily's birth, I stopped by and got this pizza on the way home from the hospital and ate it until I made myself pretty sick. Hence the name.

There's another aspect of it - and that's to tell everyone about what I've found - be it a web site, author, artist or food. I'll evangelize the heck out of it until those around me are equally sick of hearing about it.
Anyways, I'm sure there's a better name for it, but it's what I've got for better or for worse. Am I the only one?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Duh....Niketown? Michaelopolis...