Monday, September 08, 2008

Witch's Hat 10k


Kevin and Dave 10k Race
Kevin and I ran in the Witch's Hat 10k run in South Lyon. This was our (Kevin and I are officially a running couple after doing our second race together) first 10k after doing the half marathon two weeks ago. Our goal was to do the race in under a 7:30 minute/mile pace and we did. I ran it in 45:02, at a 7:25 pace.
10k Final Stretch - Dave, Kevin and Andy
Kevin and I paced ourselves behind an old guy with a ponytail who looked like he knew what he was doing and how to pace himself. We passed a fair number of people and made pretty good time. At the last 100 yards, an old friend, Andy Hivley came up from behind and I didn't want him to pass me. He and I sprinted to the finish line with Andy beating me by 1 second. I finished 7th in my age bracket. Looking at the final times, you see that the only group tougher than my age group were the 13 - 16 year olds, consisting of the cross country team, with the average pace of around a minute/mile.

I enjoyed the 10k way more than the half marathon, both in terms of training and the run itself. The run was quick enough that I wasn't hating it and exhausted by the end, and I was able to run it without walking.
Post 10k Kevin Dave Andy Brenda
Here you can see Kevin, myself, Andy (now bald) and his wife Brenda. You can see the rest of the pictures here.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Slight Typo..(or was it??) you finished in 46:02 not 45:02. Just wanted to keep you honest.

I ran 10,000 mm the other day.