Sunday, October 19, 2008

Running

The Dirt Road Less Traveled
I went running today, doing about an eight mile loop around the town. I started on the rail road path and then cut off onto some of the tree-lined dirt roads. It was a beautiful day for a run and it felt great. I had a pretty laid back pace and just enjoyed the beauty and the run. I turned off my iPod after a while and was quiet. I looked around and saw these amazing sights and these words came to mind:
When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

The best part of the run was not being out on the perfect day, but the time where I shut off the music and was quiet. I'm always amazed at the way God shows up in those moments, and equally amazed at how rarely I arrange my world for that kind of quiet. Quiet is not my thing for the most part and the more I work to discipline myself to have those times of quiet in my car, on my runs, in the morning, the more centered I am and the more connected I am to God.

No comments: