Sunday, September 17, 2006

Up North

I met up with Todd Hawley about noon and we headed up north. We picked up Glenn Anderson on the way up at the Flint airport (all the way up from Alabama), and got into Gaylord around 3:30 - just in time to watch the Michigan/Notre Dame game. We met Bill Belanger up at the Big Buck Brewery, watched the first half and then headed over to Bill's cottage.

Todd brought up a game called Cornhole (big in Nebraska apparently) which is basically throwing beanbags into a hole, and he and Glenn whooped Bill and I (or cornholed us?) in both games. Bill and I then showed them some Michigan Hospitality, smoking them both in a game called Moosetracks, which is all about sliding washers into a hole.

Bill is a master griller, and had been cooking a huge beef brisket all day long. Ron Reyhl picked up John Holzemer from the airport, flying in from the San Francisco area. We ate late and then hung around the fire for a while before we played poker into the night. Newton Peters and Mike Doyle are joining us up here tomorrow. Newton's flying in from Florida, Doyle's driving in from Clarkston. Hawley snores like a freaking beast. I was up most of the night with Todd sleeping in the bunk next to mine, snoring like a hog. I contemplated chucking stuff at his head, but the only thing I had was my pillow - and a few times I thought about sacrificing it for 5 minutes of quiet.

No comments: