Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rough Start


My day started with me rolling over, looking at my hotel-room clock and noticing that it was 6:15AM, while my alarm was set for 5:45. PM. Cripes. I jumped out of bed to find that I'd left half of my shower kit at home, so I had no razor or tooth brush. I got one from the front desk, showered and ran out the door. I had put together a meeting with a customer at 7:30 AM. I never want to be THAT GUY who schedules the early meeting and then doesn't show.

I was able to meet up with a good friend of mine, Matt, who's down here for meetings nearby. Matt used to work at Xerox as a sales rep and he and I worked on a project together for about four years and were a great team. Matt is a master sales person who helped me make the transition from being a technical guy with lots of answers to a sales guy who asks more questions. We became great friends and have stayed in touch even after he left Xerox. Matt owns more shoes and more clothes than any guy I know and is almost as good of a negotiator as Bob Rays. He is the guy that will call me and say, "Dave, you take a 44 long jacket, right? I found one in a style that'd be perfect for you and it's only $100." and I'd have him buy it for me sight unseen. We got harassed pretty heavily by the project teams for our metro-sexual shopping trips, but I'm sure they envied our bargains secretly.

No comments: