Monday, February 04, 2008

My Grandma


My Grandma passed away a few minutes ago of old age, not too long after she'd celebrated her 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. It's weird. On one hand, I'm sad, yet on the other hand I'm happy for her. My Grandma's body was wearing down, she had this deep sadness that she carried inside of her with the loss of her son, her daughter and her husband over the past years. When we'd talk about it, she had this deep faith that things were in God's hands and that he knew what he was doing. I have so many great memories of my Grandma. Even last Thursday when Sherry and I were hanging out with her, she was talking about how similar my Uncle Bill (her son, my Godfather) and I were - both in our senses of humor and the way we would get on her nerves.

She was about as tough of a woman as you'll find out there. Twelve years ago she almost died when she slipped into a coma. I remember being at the hospital in the waiting room with my family, praying for her. I remember seeing my Mom talk to the doctors as they asked her to what extent they should try and save her. She lived. I remember my Grandma being the only person who knew the names we were choosing for Nate, and I remember how closely she guarded that secret, even from my Mom. I remember how my Grandma knew every word that was said as we'd hang out, yet we'd still joke about her being hard of hearing. I remember seeing my Mom's best friend Sherry take care of my Grandma like she was her own Mom and how much my Grandma loved Sherry. I remember when Nate, Maddie and I would go hang out at my Grandma's house in Detroit, and as my Grandma gave Maddie her bottle, how Nate asked her why she didn't feed her from "these" (as he poked her boobs). I remember staying at my Grandma's house for a few days and how she was oblivious to the fact that my Uncle took me out and taught me to drive. I remember when my Grandma was watching us when my parents were out of town and I got in trouble at school, how I pleaded with the Principal not to call home because my Grandma was watching us. I remember how my Grandma used to watch us and make a hundred batches of cookies while we were at school and freeze them so we could have them for our lunches later. I remember how my Mom and my sister both make my Grandma's roll recipe just as good as my Grandma. I remember my Grandma's laugh, her smile and kissing her wrinkly cheek goodbye.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I specifically checked your blog tonight to see how your grandma was doing since Jon mentioned her on his.

I love what you wrote, Dave. I hope you read that at her funeral.

What a bittersweet time ... to lose her, but to also know that she is in Heaven with her family.

Stacy said...

Dave - I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. What you wrote was amazing and really brought to life the relationship that you had with her. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Noel Heikkinen said...

Sorry, dude. We're praying for you.